Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Grand New Year!



Looking back at this year, I do have to say it's been quite the ride... and with it coming to an end, I find myself looking back and reevaluating and reminiscing. Although its a new day like any other, the sun will rise and set and the earth doesn't care that we're making resolutions and drinking champagne to celebrate the last 10 seconds of the end to the year 2009. I'm telling myself its just another day but it's not. There's a subliminal reset button in the back of my mind that I'm using as a guiding post to take the initiative to better myself and make things happen.

The real world hasn't been too kind to us kids coming out of college, and although the months after graduating CalArts have been frustrating, I am thankful for the opportunities I have been given in the pursuit of making a living doing something that I love. The grass is greener on the other side in the sense that I am in a situation where I can work on exactly what I want, and have ample time to do so.

And with this blog, I've been blogging for 3 years now, and decided to erase all my previous posts for reasons I can't explain, it just felt right so I went with it. I think because I want to be more expressive and speak my mind more here. Three years is a long time, and I've changed so much these past three years, so naturally there was a pre-conceived vibe to my old blog that I wanted to break out of. With that gone it's a fresh start and I can make whatever I want of this blog, and that's precisely what I intend to do! So thank you all for the wonderful support and encouraging and inspiring comments, its all so very much appreciated! Wishing everyone a grand and happy and prosperous new year! Cheers!

Oh, and a lot of my "old" work can still be found on the Character Design Blog, I put a link to it on the right. Opa!

22 comments:

Lee said...

A wonderful entry to start you're 'new' blog then!

Great piece too, full of emtotion. Happy New Year!

pakoto said...

Really lovely! good luck Zar!! and happy 2010!: )

Renee Kurilla said...

I love the idea of starting fresh and I love this illustration. So magical...and what a perfect time to do it. Happy New Year :)

Jose Ramos said...

Nice illustration !"!!. happy new year!

SKS said...

At first I thought there was some terrible bug that wiped out all your past posts, but now I see it was on purpose. I also love the idea of a fresh slate, just starting anew without looking back. Beautiful illustration today too. I hope you have a great new year and I look forward to your posts in the future! :D

Daron said...

That was lovely Zar,a lot of what you said rings true to me to. It'll be nice to watch this blog develop again in a whole new way. Happy new year!

Abz said...

i love all ur work!

ZaR said...

Hey thanks guys, can't wait to start the blogging!

Lel said...

LOVE this illo!! perfect way to start the new year ^_^

Heidi Smith said...

Fantastic piece, I really love the starry night sky, your work is always inspirational!! I can't wait to see more!

jpforjohnpark said...

hey Zar!! awesome work! hope you had a great new years.

Jason Keane said...

Ahh, simply breathtaking!

Kendra Melton said...

Great little piece. simple, readable, and pretty colors :]

I know exactly what you mean, i just graduated this past year too and though the market isn't the best it gives me time to work on my own development and explore. Something I didn't have much time to do while in college because of deadlines.

I try and get out of the house and sketch every now and then for a change of scenery so i don't get stir crazy, like to the zoo, museums etc. If you ever want to join let me know, I'm always looking for other artists in LA who want to get out and draw.

Hope you had a happy healthy new year! :]

ZaR said...

Kendra- Sketching with you sounds awesome... we should plan a sketching outing!

Aaron said...

OH my stars!!! This is very very lovely.

Christian Robinson said...

Very well put Zar!

You are a talented with expressing yourself with the pen and brush. It was very comforting and inspiring to read this post, I think many can relate with it.
Well as you may know, you are a superstar in my eyes! so just keep on shining : ) ( pretty cheesy, but i mean it )

peace

Marcos Mateu said...

Love the idea and the execution

Ricardo said...

Love this piece Zar! I totally empathize with what you said. Our artistic futures indeed depend on us.

PS-it was good to see you at the lecture the other night!

how to ollie said...

Excellent post and writing style. Bookmarked.

Stefania Montaruli said...

This illustration is very beautiful

willson said...

If I were to wager a guess at why, I’d say that users don’t “browse” forms. The interaction style users engage in with forms is different, and requires its own study and design best practices.
study abroad

Ron said...

Barev!
Your blog is very inspiring, as are your expressive and inventive designs. This is the type of art that truly motivates.