Friday, February 26, 2010

My Portable Vacuum Cleaner... and so Much More!

My family doesn't vacuum, here's why...

My dog Richie has been serving as our portable, organic vacuum cleaner for about 12 years now. Every time my family sits down for a meal, he's there front and center waiting for food to hit he ground. Needless to say our kitchen floor is very clean!

He has also taken place of many house hold items and appliances... For instance, I don't need an alarm anymore!

He's getting pretty old and can't jump on my bed in the mornings, so he just sits there and barks... he doesn't have a snooze button.

Once I get out of bed, I lift him up, and he quickly settles right dab in the middle of my pillow and fits snugly where my head had been...

He's the softest living pillow I've ever come across, and I always listen to his little heart beat, and the weird noises his tummy makes.

He's also the best traveling companion...

He has no preference on music, and makes no comments on my driving.

I have come to share some of the most peaceful experiences with this little guy. I remember one day we went outside to sit on the front porch (Richie likes the front yard better because there's a lot more happening out there) A gust of wind blew through the air and he closed his eyes, stuck his nose in the air and took a deep breath... so did I. I felt so alive while doing nothing at all, so much so that its one of the richest memories I've had. And the fact that this little dog can put me so at peace and make me feel so happy with just existing astounds me!

Dogs are awesome!!!!!!

20 comments:

Martin W. said...

I really like your styly, it so cute :)
The story about you and your dog is amazing! thanks for sharing!

Tooninator said...

I'm really jealous at just how charming this is. Well that and the fact that my cat drools on me to wake me up in the morning. It's rather gross.

DSM said...

These really are sweet drawings; Richie seems sweet, too. We have adopted greyhounds, Sandy and Dori and live on a big , quiet lagoon near Key West. When the winds kick up off the water (and we kick back with gin and tonics under the old Buttonwood trees) the dogs long muzzles are like little bellows huffing and puffing as they take in the new nasal sensations while squinting into the sky.

My favorite is Richie waking you...

Kr√ęg said...

Fantastic post and artwork! Richie is lucky to have an owner like you.

Cyrus Cords said...

Very nice Zar! Your blog always makes me smile and inspires me to grab the pencil and paper.

ZaR said...

Thanks guys!

Tony DiStefano said...

I really like your work.You have a great flow and appeal to your line.The dog story is very sweet and funny(ever read "Travels with Charley?")
Much luck to you,I think you will do well.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen mom and dad laugh so hard. They loved Richo as the vac. Keep up the awsome work, we are your number one supporters and fans!

No need to mention who this is.

Stevie Ray said...

You draw beautiful drawings!!! They are so charming and feel so happy :) I love them all! :) keep drawing!

Joe said...

zar i really like your stories!

jackelyn said...

i was flipping through blogs, found yours, and fell in love with your dog. the way you described him was beautiful. it made me laugh and think of my childhood dog, t.j., and all the wonderful times we had with her. thank you so much for sharing! :)

Tel Coelho said...

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

"C" said...

Is your dog for hire we have some messy floors here at home, and need to be vacuumed. Really cute drawings Zar!

Munchanka said...

haha, I love dogs just thaaaat much more now :)

ZaR said...

Jackelyn! Thanks for the comment, it means a lot that you wrote!

Tony- Thank you and I haven't read "Travels with Charlie" I'll be sure to check it out, the title alone sounds great!

C- Just let me know when, be sure the throw some extra crumbs on the floor, he loves those!

Austin- I'm glad Richie made you love dogs more, they never cease to amaze!

Thanks guys!

justdoodleit said...

Awesome! Your drawings and story is full of delicate charm...and your blog is really cool.

straykat said...

Your drawings really capture the unique and amazing relationship that one can have with a pet. Thank you for sharing these special moments with your amazing illustrations.

Kat

vivienne strauss said...

Loved the story as much as your illustrations, Richie sounds like a perfect pet :)

Diane Hoeptner (hep-ner) said...

This is DARLING!!! More stories, please. Love!

Lloyd said...

HAHA! your post about Richie your dog is sooo amazing..haha!! i like the "vacuum cleaner" drawing..lol!
thanks for sharing