Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Part of my Identity

I have been wearing glasses pretty much my whole life. I was one of those kids whose glasses took up more than half of their face. When I think about it, they are a big part of me. Physically, they become a part of my face, but these framed pieces of glass help me out a lot, and a lot of care goes into them. I feel like we make relationships with objects in our lives that we are in constant interaction with... some people have relationships with their cars, I have a great relationship with my spectacles!

I go through quite an array of emotions with these guys, just like any relationship... I get sad and frustrated when I drop them and they get scratched. I get annoyed sometimes when people hug me and press their cheeks against my glasses leaving oily smudges, which are a pain to remove. But sometimes they make me laugh at myself, which in my opinion, not too many inanimate objects can do.

For instance the number of ways they fog up... like drinking tea...


I usually just wait for them to defog...


Same with opening the oven or dishwasher...



And... I've observed 3 techniques to cleaning glasses...

1. The "casual steam and shirt dry" technique...


2. The "formal special eyeglass cleaning spray and cloth" technique...


3. Or my Granny's "who cares lick em' and shirt dry technique"... I'm serious I've seen her do this before. That's the awesome thing about older people... sometimes they just don't care.


I know what you're thinking... why not just get contacts pop a pair in and forget about it? I don't know... I've just been wearing them for such a long time I can't imagine not having them on, like I said they've become a part of me. Plus, I would never be able to do this anymore without them...

Believe me, the "press your nose against glass making you look like a piggy" technique is quite the charmer, and the beauty of it all is I can do it on location without the need of a window... pretty sweet.

16 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Zar,

I'm a regular rss watcher of your blog- and I love the work you put out! I'm not a huge commenter, but this post about your glasses really related to me.. (I've been wearing glasses forever, and have never used contacts). I've been considering getting that laser surgery but been back and forth about how much my glasses have really been a part of me.

It's great to see I'm not alone. Thanks for this!

-Michelle

Lee said...

What a great little story, I used to wear glasses (and still should) and I love the way they frame peoples faces, they were the most interesting thing about my face!

Great sketches to go with the little tale

ZaR said...

Michelle- thanks for taking the time to write, I'm so glad to hear what you had to say, and appreciate it so much!

Lee- Thanks for the comments, appreciate it!

Avner Geller said...

Zar! this is absolutely fantastic! I have quite a relationship with my glasses as well :) I loove to let them defog when I drink tea, haha. I hate when my mom grabs them and yells at me "you call this clean??". and you can only imagine how I felt when I took them off before a roller coaster ride, so they won't fly off, and then during the ride heard the crunch sound from my pocket... :(

Lel said...

Oh man - this is sooo me! ^_^
The fogging and everything!!


Its funny you know - I heard a story about a guy that got laser eye surgery later in his life. He felt lost without his glasses - they had become such a part of him that he ended up buying some frames with no lenses, just so he could feel complete again ^_^

Daron said...

aww, this is so sweet : )

Abz said...

This made me smile..haha... I liked it. I used to wear glasses too, but unlike you- I never liked them-- I hated them actually. I got contacts, then got my eyes done. I love people with an identity like that (yours)...glasses, or...big hair- whatever it is, everyone needs something...and I believe everyone does!

Good work! ;)

ZaR said...

Thanks guys... (nerd alert)...glasses rule!

Justin Rodrigues said...

Haha. it's funny because it's true. I'm the same way. I can't imagine not having them at this point. Love the illustrations to go along with it.

Marcos Cohen said...

Lol! very cool post and story!

coNstanza Oroza said...

I... generally use liquid soap for my glasses x)

lindsey olivares said...

yay for four eyes!!!
I got glasses when I was 5, then abandoned them during high school for contacts. Now I've embraced my blindness and and magnified eyes.

love this post

Amanda said...

I really love putting my glasses on my dog. He looks pretty intelligent :D

Cutu said...

I really enjoyed reading this. It didn’t make me laugh, but it did put a smile on my face all through it (which, in my book, is harder to achieve). It is moving and you’re drawings are just the thing to go with it .It makes me jealous for not wearing any glasses. Keep up the awesome work.

justdoodleit said...

Specta-cular and funny post. I wear glasses too and once, went into the shower with them on...it felt like windshields in a car wash :)

GG said...

Wow, I completely agree! I too have been wearing glasses for most of my life. I had a brief stint with contacts in high school but oddly enough, I actually feel prettier with my glasses on! I wear them clubbing and when I go out ... pretty much all the time. They have definitely become a part of my identity. I don't think I'll ever get corrective eye surgery. Anyway, blind people REPRESENT. Glasses make you sexy.